For some time we’ve been toying with the idea of publishing a list of our Favorite Hikes in the Southern Appalachians. We have a whole page devoted to the subject of course…but we have never published this as an actual ranked top ten list.
Mostly this is because we didn’t feel we’d hiked enough times hereabouts to get a real sense of what is and isn’t best. We STILL feel that we have ways to go in that respect…but nonetheless, we’ve done enough hikes at this point to release a first generation top ten list…the Top Ten Hikes in the Southern Appalachians, V 1.0.
Note that to qualify, the hikes must be…
- In the Appalachian Mountains
- South of the Mason Dixon Line, i.e. the MD/PA border
- Not be more than 21 days in length (IE not a thru-hike)
Without further ado…
BecauzeItzThere’s Best Hikes in the Southern Appalachians — V 1.0
- Old Rag, VA
- Hikes along the Linville Gorge Rim, NC
- The Art Loeb Trail/Black Balsam, NC
- AT: The Grayson Highlands, VA
- Mount Cammerer, TN
- AT: The Standing Indian Loop, NC
- The Alum Cave Trail to Mt. Leconte, TN
- Elk Knob, NC
- Looking Glass Rock, NC
- Sharp Top, VA
*Note that part the AT Roan Mtn. section was hiked by Brian and Sylvia some years back but conditions were so poor that a do-over is needed. Same can be said for McAfee Knob.*
Check back from time to time…this list will change!
What are some of YOUR favorite southern hikes?